During a cardiology consultation, your cardiologist will evaluate your past medical history, perform a thorough physical examination and administer tests to assess your risk of developing heart diseases. Early diagnosis may lead to a better prognosis and minimize any complications.
Who needs a Cardiovascular Evaluation?
Cardiovascular evaluations are essential appointments for anyone who may be at risk for heart attack or heart disease. If you have any of the following risk factors, you may benefit from a cardiovascular evaluation:
- Over 65 years old
- Family history of heart disease
- Tobacco use
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- History of physical inactivity
- Being overweight
- Diagnosis of diabetes
When you arrive for your evaluation with your cardiologist, please:
- Bring all necessary medical records. It helps us to better understand your heart condition and avoids repetition of diagnostic tests
- Be prepared to discuss your past medical history, surgical history, family history, and current medications that you are taking
- Remember to talk about your lifestyle habits, dietary habits and profession. Your lifestyle and occupation may be associated with your risk for cardiac diseases.
Benefits of a Cardiovascular Evaluation:
- Determine your risk for heart attack or heart disease
- Develop an early diagnosis of any potential conditions
- Minimize risk of complications
- Improve effectiveness of treatment options