Causes of Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive heart failure is caused by many conditions that damage the heart muscle, including:
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart attack
- High blood pressure
- Thyroid disease
- Kidney disease
- Heart defects present at birth
Treatments for Congestive Heart Failure
With early treatment, signs and symptoms of heart failure may improve, and in some cases, the heart can become stronger. Treatment aims to decrease the likelihood of disease progression, lessen symptoms and improve quality of life.
Treatment will depend on the underlying cause of congestive heart failure. Common treatment options include:
- Medications, such as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, beta-blockers, diuretics, aldosterone antagonists, etc.
- Self-care methods, such as physical exercise, quitting smoking, weight loss and a low sodium diet
- Devices, such as implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) and pacemaker
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
At Advanced Heart and Vein Center, we provide a variety of comprehensive therapies and interventional procedures for all cardiac conditions. With early treatment and support from our CHF Clinic, you can get the help you need to live a longer, healthier life.